Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Yarn Wreath & Felt Flowers

I love yarn.  As a knitter, I'm addicted to buying various colors & types of yarn before I even really know what I'm going to make with it.  I stumbled upon THIS tutorial on making yarn wreaths and instantly knew what my next project would be.  {and I'm sad to admit that I am now addicted to making Yarn Wreaths}.  Now I have a few less skeins of yarn in my bin (and I've put some of the left-over felt from the costumes project to good use, too). 

Materials Used:
Wreath (I used one similar to this) - there are several sizes available.  I used the 18 in because I wanted to make a wreath for my front door
Yarn - depending on the type you use (medium vs. bulky) and the size of wreath you use, you may need more than 1 skein.  I used 1.5 skeins for my wreaths
Felt squares in various colors (the $.25 kind)
Scissors
A gazillion push pins (or you could use a glue gun)
Thimble (for use with push pins.  My nails took a beating after a while!)

How To:
I followed the tutorial from the Take Heart site and completed each wreath in a couple of hours.  I opted for the push pins (vs. the glue gun) because I felt it would keep the flowers on a bit sturdier. 

Here is my fall wreath:




Here is the one I made for my blog co-author Jenn:




For the holiday wreath I used a bit different technique for the flowers.  Instead of cutting roses I cut a gazillion circles and pinned them on similar to the tutorial here.


And my new holiday one (just put up last night):

No comments: